you just might make me believe


what's your mode of transport?
mine is the sun.
when it rises dripping from
the sea when it falls like honey on
the trees when it swallows up
clouds my soul moves with it.

mine is you.
when you lift your eyes
when you look straight ahead
when you try to speak my
heart moves with you.



more Naomi Shihab Nye
11:04:00 AM
Sunday, June 18, 2006
bop to the top
[here are 3 of my many favourite poems from her book
- A Maze Me, Poems For Girls
(Greenwillow Books, Harper Collins Publishers)

simply delicious.]


[tip: don't read them all at one go. try to think about the poem and what it means to you before moving on or else you'll regret being so rushed. yearp. ]





Mystery

When I was two
I said to my mother
I don't like you, but I like you.

She laughed a long time.

I will spend the rest of my life
trying to figure this out.




++




I Want to Meet the Girl

who does not run her country
the way I do not run my country.

I want to meet the girl
who hides in a crowd,
who laughs in her hand,
who was not in the picture.

The girl who stands back
after being introduced
by her parents
in a way she would not choose.

Who turns her head to the side
so she doesn't miss seeing what's there.
Where is she?

++




Big Head, Big Face
(what my brother said to me)

If your head had been smaller
maybe you woulda had less thoughts in it,
maybe you wouldn't have so many troubles.
This is just a guess but seems to me
like a little drawer only hold a few spoons
and you can always find the one you need
while a big drawer jammed with tongs
strings corks junky stuff receipts birthday cards
you never gonna look at
scrambled and mixed so one day
you
open that drawer
poke your hand in and big knife go
through your palm
you didn't know that a knife was IN there,
well, that's why I think
it might not be so bad to have a little head
with just a few thoughts few memories few hopes
maybe if only one little one came true
that would be enough for you.


++

honesty is the best policy