you just might make me believe


what's your mode of transport?
mine is the sun.
when it rises dripping from
the sea when it falls like honey on
the trees when it swallows up
clouds my soul moves with it.

mine is you.
when you lift your eyes
when you look straight ahead
when you try to speak my
heart moves with you.



slanted eyes. sepet.
6:58:00 PM
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
bop to the top

i've watched this movie millions of times ever since it came out in 2004 and i never get tired of it.




"sepet" means slanted eyes in malay and it's usually stereotypically associated with the chinese. the movie is set in present day Ipoh, Malaysia and it's about this illegal vcd seller, Jason a.k.a. Ah Loong, who falls in love with a smart don't-mess-with-me-or-eat-chili-padi malay girl, Orked, who visits his stall looking for Takeshi Kaneishiro movies. yes, you may gag and say it's another one of those stories where boy meets girl, boy falls in love, yada yada. in that sense, i guess you're right.

but.

the movie was so incredibly genuine, so real. it's like as though i could find any of the characters in the people closest to me. Jason is just surprising with his random way of saying the most deepest things in the most simplest of ways. and he appreciates poetry. and he treats Orked so sweetly and so well that it'll put most guys to shame. if i had a boyfriend like that, i'll shoot down every single girl within 200m radius just to keep him to myself. hahah.

and Orked. gosh. she's so zesty and fiery and adorable and a daddy's-little-girl all at the same time that i can't help but admire her for not being afraid to be herself. that actress is just amazing.

other characters were portrayed just as amazingly. Jason's best friend Keong, Orked's colourful family, Jason's peranakan mother.

there's this scene that always cracks me up. it's where Orked's father is in bed with his wife and he suddenly wakes up and starts asking her about how she knew about Jason.
"I know cos Orked told Mak Yam (the incredibly likeable nanny) who told me la. Orked knows Mak Yam tells me everything."
"Then how come Orked doesn't just tell you directly?"
"Ala sayang, it's Orked's way of telling me things without telling me la."
-silence
"Even if I live to a hundred, I'll never understand you women."
-wife hugs husband
"Sayang, your job is not to understand us. Your job is to love us".



it's definitely hands down the best malay/english movie that i've ever watched (after P.Ramlee movies of course) cos it was so poignant in it's portrayal and it's a far cry from the crap that some directors make nowadays with their big budgets and big stars.

the cinematography's great too. no wonder it won so many international art house film awards la.


honesty is the best policy